noumenal is the alias of Rebecca Millsop; she is an interdisciplinary abstract artist and philosopher living and working in Brooklyn, NY. Utilizing traditional painting techniques, image-editing & digital-painting software, printers, scanners, and vintage pen plotters, her work investigates conceptual reification, technological translations, and systems of intrapersonal mapping.
She trained in the New Genres program at the San Francisco Art Institute before transitioning to an academic career in Philosophy, going on to study at the University of California, Berkeley and completing her PhD at MIT. Throughout her time in academia, she has questioned and interrogated the fundamentals of aesthetics and the art experience.
This research and rigor has informed her art-making practice. Iterating processes and utilizing novel mark making and modifying techniques from other disciplines, she uses the canvas (IRL, digital, or both) to investigate the boundaries of formalism and abstraction alike.
Her digital and physical works have been collected internationally. Follow her on twitter (@_noumenal) to keep up to date with her work and exhibitions.
Vertical Crypto Art Residency | 6th Cohort | 2023
Massachusetts Institute of Technology | Ph.D., Philosophy | 2016
Brown University | Visiting Research Fellow | 2015-2016
University of California, Berkeley | B.A., Philosophy w Highest Honors & the Departmental Distinction | 2010
San Francisco Art Institute | 2003-2005 | Concentration: New Genres
- Tomorrow & Tomorrow: Exploring Digital Art in the Age of NFTs, Part 2 | May-June 2023 | LARSEN WARNER | Stockholm Sweden
- /’FU:BAR/ Glitch Art Exhibition | October-December 2022 | /’FU:BAR/ | Zagreb, Croatia
- futr. x NFT Show Europe 2022 | September 2022 | futr.art | Valencia, Spain
- Glitch Art Is Dead | September 2022 | GAID | Granite Falls, Minnesota, USA
- Exchange Art House | June 2022 | Exchange.art | New York, NY, USA
digital group exhibitions